Posted 5.2.12 @ 10:6 by: Mike McEwen
When you’re buying a second home for vacationing or as a rental property, you need to know what to look for. Do you need a home in an urban center that’s geared towards sustainability? Do you want a hideaway where you can ride horses and get away from it all? Oakville real estate offers all of this to you, and the best part is that no matter what your tastes are you’ll find an excellent fit here.
What Kind of Lifestyle do You Have?
Lifestyle plays a big part when buying real estate. Check out this quick list to assess your lifestyle.
- Where do you really want to stay when you’re on vacation? Do you want a house on Lake Ontario or a beautiful high rise luxury condo that gives you an aerial view?
- How close is it? If it takes more than two hours to get to, it may not be a good choice for your second home. A weekend should be enjoyed, so don’t over-commute!
- Do you want a condo or a home? Condos are fantastic if you just want to come here once a season and know that the property is taken care of. If you’re more worried about what you’ll be doing the other three seasons and want to come regularly, homes may be more to your taste.
- Homes take a lot of maintenance and you may just not be up to dealing with that. You get more privacy but the tradeoffs may make you insane.
Where Do You Want to Live?
Choosing the location is also an important factor. The house might suit your lifestyle needs, but what about the area? Look through this list and consider if the Oakville real estate you’re looking at is right for you.
- Ask around about who is moving to the area and what it was like in the past; it’s good to know where a place is going and where it’s been.
- Is it near healthcare? Strange question, but this second home may turn into your forever home someday and you may want to retire here.
- What’s the real price of the location? Are there supermarkets nearby or are you going to have to pay a lot of money for delivery and takeaway? How much are you going to have to spend on keeping the lawn up?
Finding the right second Oakville home for sale is about understanding the location and getting a good deal. Figuring out if the location is the right place can be hard, and that’s where we come in! One of the Goodale Miler team can help you find your dream home for weekend getaways or even to retire to. We’ll help you run comparability studies to make sure you’re getting a good rate.
Before you buy, ask yourself this:
Do you like the house or do you like the area?
Is it going to take too much time to reach?
Is it in your price range?