Posted 5.19.15 @ 14:11
Great news fellow Oakvillians! Late last month, our Town Oakville, has been named as one of the Greenest Employers in Canada for 2015. How’s that for some amazing feel-good news?
Oakville’s Commitment to Environmental Excellence
This proud news is all about Oakville being chosen by a panel of editors for Canada’s Top 100 Employers as one of the most environment-friendly employers across Canada. It is truly a happy event that our Town is continually being recognized for its commitment to environmental sustainability, its earth-friendly employee and community initiatives, plus, it’s LEED Gold and Silver certified buildings.
Mayor Rob Burton says the council is committed to creating a greener, cleaner, and more livable Town. He also says that Oakville fully appreciates being recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers, especially that the Town is truly putting in a lot of effort to provide residents with lots of benefits and a sustainable community.
Oakville for the Environment!
Ray Green, Oakville’s CAO says that around 60 employers from across Canada was chosen for the award, and with Oakville being one of them is no surprise. After all, the Town leads by example, with the following actions done by Oakville to support the green movement for a better world:
- Introducing and managing environment-centered initiatives such as the waste reduction program, sustainable purchasing program, SmartCommute program, green fleet initiatives, and development of road ecology strategy.
- Working to improve and clean the Oakville Harbour and Bronte harbour via the adoption of standards set by the Ontario Ministry of Environment, by Environment Canada, and by Boating Ontario which resulted to the Town receiving the Canadian Safe Boating Council’s award for Safeguarding the Environment in 2013. Oakville is also the first ever municipality in Ontario to receive the Five Anchor Diamond rating.
- Featuring town facilities which are environment-friendly, such as rainwater harvesting systems, solar panel arrays, geothermal heating and cooling, using regionally sourced materials, recycling content, using permeable paving, and having drought-resistant landscaping. The Town has 2 LEED Silver facilities and 1 LEED Gold building, all fruits of an effort to develop a sustainable building policy wherein buildings are built to meet the LEED or Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Silver standard.
- Publishing a guide to sustainable living and building for both residents and builders.
- Reaching out to Oakville’s next generation via the EcoSchool Newsletter which is distributed twice each school year and distributed to all area schools. The newsletter talks about topics such as energy conservation and water stewardship program.
- Working with the community to enhance and protect the Town’s environment, preparing for possible impacts of climate change, and raising awareness on the contribution of community actions via education and outreach programs.
- Working on having a formal team which is responsible for implementing the Town’s corporate Environmental Strategic Plan.
Just a quick look at all of the above and it is easy to see why Oakville was awarded as being one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. We, Oakvillians are surely proud of it!
The Prestigious Award
Canada’s Greenest Employers Award was launched 8 years ago in 2007 as part of Mediacorp Canada’s Top 100 Employers competition. The purpose of the awards is to give due recognition to the nation’s leading employers in terms of developing exceptional earth-friendly initiatives, creating a corporate culture centered on environmental awareness, and attracting people to be a part of their organization by environmental leadership.
Excited to be a part of Oakville’s commitment to environmental protection and sustainability? Then make Oakville your home! Browse our list of available luxury homes in Oakville and contact us for a viewing. The home of your dreams may just be waiting for you here!